Monday, November 5, 2012

seeing yellow

While I'm posting about our house buying process, I don't want to miss out on in-the-moment posts! We are in full on get that house ready to move-in mode! That includes some serious painting. I have made color choices for the dining room, living room, hallway, bathroom, and front/back doors. The kitchen is being difficult though. Or maybe I am. Either way, I am now 5 paint samples in and not feeling any closer to a decision.

The difficult is with the counters. I hope to re-do them in the not too distant future, but it's not going to happen all that soon either, so the wall color needs to work with them. The problem? They're yellow. Yellow tile counters and backsplash, with black tiles accents. Ouch.





So my first thought was to embrace it, and choose a nice sunny yellow color for the walls.


That was also my second, third, fourth, and fifth thought. But it's just not working. Too bright, too light, too pastel, too orange. After I put the fifth sample on the wall, I realized the problem. I don't like yellow!

So back to the drawing board. If the counters could magically change, I would go with some shade of green. I want the whole room done by the end of the week before our new stove is delivered this weekend, so I need to hurry up and make a choice! I will take any and all suggestions!!!

5 comments:

  1. i would go with gray. light gray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Chelsea said, I would try grey - it often looks great with yellow.

    In case you wanted to go a little over-board, you could always paint the yellow! It seems like a big project, but nothing you couldn't handle I'm sure!

    http://www.ecabonline.com/2010/04/painting-kitchen-tile.html#more

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love grey and yellow, but our living room, hallway, and dining room are already going to be a beauuuuutiful grey! So I don't want too much grey! It's definitely still an option, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gray Gray Gray - I love me some gray. And I think it will make that yellow pop which wouldn't be a bad thing. I kinda like the yellow.

    http://savethepinkbathrooms.com/ - this site is somewhat related and makes me laugh

    ReplyDelete
  5. you all convinced me---grey in the kitchen! I was afraid it would be too much grey, but I love the color enough that I think I will like it! And one color throughout the first floor in such a small house will help it flow well. Plus I already have the paint!

    ReplyDelete