Friday, January 4, 2013

adding stripes to our side entryway

Our side door entry was one of the most used and yet-to-be painted areas of the house, up until yesterday, that is!  We always come in the side door and I'm constantly going up and down the stairs to the basement, so I've been staring down these unpainted walls constantly for the past two months. The longest and tallest wall of the entryway spans from the side door down to the basement, following the stairs. It's also the "back view" when you're looking into the kitchen from the dining room

Here it was when we moved in:


The walls were dirty dirty dirty (actually dirty enough to see in the picture above! See those "clouds" of dirty above the railing and on the other wall too?) and I couldn't stand looking at them any longer. I continued the "Oat Bran" color from the kitchen into the entire entry way, and decided to do something a little more interesting along that tall and long wall that is seen from the kitchen. I decided to do that in the form of stripes, just like I did in our apartment. I was so sad to paint over my stripes when we moved, so I knew I wanted to find a place for them in our new home. This seemed like the perfect location!
I looked back at Young House Love's post about how to do them for a refresher.

Here is the wall painted in the base color, taped up, and ready for the stripe color. I decided to only do the stripes along the back wall and not the entire entry way.
  
And here it is all painted! I snapped this picture quickly after the second coat was done,and then started taking off the tape. My advice if you ever decide to stripe a wall:
  •  Leave a few days between painting your base coast and stripes. In fact, if you have a wall that has been painted for a while (weeks, months...) but it still clean, that's even better. You want that base coat to be totally solid since it's about to be covered in tape. I had about 12 hours between base coat and stripes, and that is not ideal. 
  • Don't wait to  take the tape off until all of your second coats are finished. As soon as each stripe has its second coat, remove the tape surrounding that stripe. You want the paint to be as wet as possible when you peel back the tape.
 My advice is based on what happened next. I was pulling back my FrogTape, marveling at my super clean paint lines, and then this started to happen in a few places:



See where the Oat Bran paint is peeling off? Yep, it came right off on the tape. Suuuuch a bummer when most of the rest of the wall was so nice and neat. Luckily, I was able to very, very carefully touch up the Oat Bran with a paint brush and a very careful hand. I was freaking out a bit at the time, but once the touch up paint dried, all was well! And this is the side entry now:








I love it! It's so clean, fresh, and makes the tiny side entry way feel so much bigger. I still have some plans to finish this area. I started laying the tiles to continue them from the kitchen, but I need to finish them. The trim needs to be painted. The railing needs to be painted and put back on (it's been off since we moved our big couch downstairs). The inside of the door needs to be painted, and I'm not sure if it's just going to be white, or if I'll do the same dark green that's on the outside. I have a new row of hooks that I bought for this area, so that needs to be hung up. And the most fun part? I'm planning on painting the narrow wall in the picture above (with the security system and key rack) in chalkboard paint! I probably will get to that in the next few weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Looks awesome! Seems like you are using ever second of your break to get projects done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. House projects are my hobby, I love it! And I'm having plenty of lazy time too :-)

    ReplyDelete