Saturday, January 5, 2013

small projects

We're starting to get to the really FUN part of making this house home. I feel like most of what's been done so far, while making the house look better, has been mostly about getting it clean. Now that most spaces in the house are at neutral, it's time for the small projects that I've been wanting to do since day one! Yesterday I worked on these small things and they are making me SO happy!


The side entry way:

After painting the whole area and adding the stripes, I was ready to hang the coat hook I had been waiting on, and one of the smallest walls was just asking for something pretty hanging on it. These prints were in the living room of our apartment, and they fit the small space perfectly.






I am in LOVE with the side entry now!





The front entry way:

My projects over break have made me realize how much I love making over small spaces that could easily be overlooked. Our front closet was one of those. When we moved in, it was a standard coat closet with a bar for hanging coats, an upper shelf, and a gross vinyl  sliding "door".

Here it was when we moved in













Here it is now

Yes, I had to go out on our front porch to take a picture that included the full height of the closet! I took down the bar completely because I hate having to put a coat on a hanger. This way, we can just throw our coats on a hook, and we won't accumulate a stuffed closet full of coats. The bench gives a place to sit and put shoes on, and the baskets from Ikea are big enough to hold all of our hats/gloves/scarfs in one, and snow pants in another. I completely removed the vinyl sliding door and don't plan on replacing it with anything....more encouragement to keep the area neat! The area is so small that I would hate to close it off anymore. Once we do more decorating and make color decisions for the living room, I might add some color to the closet. I even considered painting the whole closet a fun color, but that's going to wait for a bit. The front door also needs to be repainted. It's going to be the same dark green as the side door, but I'm waiting until spring for that.



These small projects are making it really feel like the home I've been so excited to live in!

1 comment:

  1. wow. these posts are so inspiring! and you make it seem so accessible - not without hard work, but do-able. even though we are renting, i really want to take advantage of some of these ideas - like putting things up on the wall, and taking advantage of the floor space in our closet. i love that bench in your closet, i really really want one! :)

    ReplyDelete